Artisan Bread Attempt 1

When Paul surprisingly told me he wanted french onion soup along with a sandwich on some french bread I was shocked. I know that Paul isn’t big on the soup..but he does love him some french bread.

I decided I would try to make everything from scratch; including the bread.

I know that bread can come with practice and I can notate a few things that I would do differently, from the start, next time I try this. The bread came out really heavy, wasn’t very crunchy on the outside.

For three days preparing I was hoping for an awesome bread. But I was left disappointed; as 10 minutes into the cooking I remembered I forgot to slit the bread before putting it into the oven! Also didn’t spray it with water.

So there are three days to this process.

The first day is just mixing the proofing:
2 cups of flour
1 cup of water
1/8 teaspoon of yeast

You mix /knead this until it works into a smooth dough. It will be super duper sticky at first. And you leave it sit in a cool place for 12-24 hours.

IMG_20130826_144538[1]

After 24 hours it should have at least doubled in size. However, mine didn’t. I am pretty sure I had it sitting in to cold of a place, the refrigerator. When you put yeast into a cold place it will slow down the process of rising. I did take it out of the refrigerator and it did rise a little bit.

After rising to probably one times it size I added 3 cups of flour, 1 1/2 teaspoons of salt, 1 cup of water, and 1 tsp of yeast. Mixed it until a nice smooth ball and let it rest. This time it rose much better in the next 24 hours! I was happy with the way it looked.  But it was still super sticky. I figured it was to late at this point to add more flour so I stuck with it.

IMG_20130828_125404[1]

 

On the third day roll it out of the bowl, toss it around. Place it back in the bowl and let set for 3 hours. Break into 3 loaves and let rest for 20 minutes.

Yes I need to work on re-sizing. But I didn’t want to lose the bubbles so I didn’t want to play with it.

IMG_20130828_152925[1]

I cooked it at 450 degrees for about 20 minutes. I know what to do differently next time to make it better I hope. Let’s see how many attempts I have to do in order to get it right! :).

The recipe came from Global Table Adventures. It is a great read and I know it wasn’t the recipe but myself for the reason of it not turning out as I would have expected.

[gmc_recipe 446]

 

 

 

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>